Monday, May 07, 2007

...:::A Friend:::...

MAY DA JIE, MY MEMORY




Yesterday, in the wee hours before even the first Sunray could be seen, I was sitting inside my colleagues' bunk, waiting for them to get ready for Guard Duty. As I was walking towards the Sofa, a familiar face on the front page of "Newpaper" caught my attention, and it was dated on 29th April 2007, which was like 1 week ago... But at that point of time, I was being deployed to overseas for a week. I only came back a few days ago.

Hey! It was May! Haven't seen her in a long time. It was only 2 weeks ago, we sent each other some funny emails. I wondered to myself why she was on the Frontpage...

[She only wanted to earn more money.... But now she... cont on Page 2]

This particular sentence struck me immediately. And something told me it wasn't something good. For the next 20 or so mins, I was dumb-founded, lost for words, blank & lost at article on May's Death.

Initially, I didn't believed at all what the Papers said was true. May can't be dead. We just exchanged funny too long ago. And even chatted on the MSN about 1 week ago. No!! It can't be true at all. This MUST have been a joke. And too big a joke...

Then, I saw Kaiyan's name in the papers as well... The papers description of her family background etc etc... Reality instantly gave me a Check-In. NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! May was only 29 for god sake!!! She was just too young to die. Her dreams yet to realise. Her goals yet materialised. She hasn't even enjoy LIFE to its fullest. And... And... Our promise to go to Japan together... And what about her mum?

She was diagnosed to have died due to over-exhaustion from working too long hours, as blood clots were found in her knee area. It all started a few months back when she was finally accepted into a MNC, and she thought that it might be her "big Break", especially after working in LTA as a clerical Officer [A.K.A Clerk] for almost 8 years.

As May was only an "A" level graduate, thus her prospect in LTA wasn't bright at all, especially with a pay of only $1500. When she quit LTA 2 years back, me & a group of friends rejoiced for her. Because, finally she could achieve something bigger, better, & stuffs she likes, for a change.

Thus, being admitted into a MNC, was more than just a break for May, but a chance for better pay & better living standard for her mother. Not long after, she opted to another department, which had more prospects and opportunities for promotions, especially with a starting pay of $2,600.

But, neither does she or anyone knew, that this choice would eventually lead to her death. Right from the start, her workload was tremendously huge. Just checking & replying of purchase emails alone, would be enough for her to sit in front of the Monitor for Hours.

Soon after, May started to complain about constant pains, giddiness & weak physically in her blog. None thought that all these simple symptoms were tell-tale signs of a possible DVT [Deep venous thrombosis] Read more about DVT

What all of us could do, was tell her to rest more, don't over-work & take good care of herself. She did all that, but still her health condition continued a downward spiral to Death.

A girl. Humble, thoughtful, with a "Silly Big Sister" attitude, always care for friends, never fails to lend a listening ear to friend. Always have a big, affectionate smile on her face. Her "never-say-give up" & "everything will be just fine" positive attitude.

May was like a Big sister to me, [Since I never had a elder sister] she was very caring towards me. Always looking out for me, even though at times she was extremely busy. Whenever I was feeling down at work, she would surprise me & "drag" me out for a breather either over a cup of drink or a plate of food, and encourage me never give up. She would always say to me "At the end of the dark tunnel, there's a ray of light waiting for us"

This was the exact sentence I remembered even till now. Because at a point of time in my career, I was at a bottle-neck, and it was this statement from her that pushed me to keep trying.

Da Jie, though I never had the chance to call you that, and I never will have the chance. Your parting was too sudden, too fast. We didn't have a chance to have supper again. Neither, will we be able to sing KTV together again...

But Your words will forever be part of my heart, my memory & my life. Your affectionate laughter & smile, now, could only be relived in my memories & dreams. But it's sweet, warm & encouraging. Because though we're worlds apart, I know that you're here... In my heart...

Pardon Xiao Di, for not being able to see you off one last time. For this, I forever feel remorseful. But your tragic meeting will forever serve as a lesson to all, that there are things in Life that are much more important than MONEY. And that's Friends & Family.

Da Jie,

God Bless You. But one day we shall gather again in the "Land of Happiness"... One day...




Yours faithfully,
Xiao Di
Jonny Pig

No comments: