Sunday, September 21, 2008

Friend. Friend! Friend? Friend...

Meaning of "Friend" from dictionary.com

Friend –noun
1.a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.
2.a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony.
3.a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe?
4.a member of the same nation, party, etc.
5.(initial capital letter) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker.

How the word came about:
A friend is a lover, literally. The relationship between Latin amīcus "friend" and amō "I love" is clear, as is the relationship between Greek philos "friend" and phileō "I love." In English, though, we have to go back a millennium before we see the verb related to friend. At that time, frēond, the Old English word for "friend," was simply the present participle of the verb frēon, "to love." The Germanic root behind this verb is *frī-, which meant "to like, love, be friendly to." Closely linked to these concepts is that of "peace," and in fact Germanic made a noun from this root, *frithu-, meaning exactly that. Ultimately descended from this noun are the personal names Frederick, "peaceful ruler," and Siegfried, "victory peace." The root also shows up in the name of the Germanic deity Frigg, the goddess of love, who lives on today in the word Friday, "day of Frigg," from an ancient translation of Latin Veneris diēs, "day of Venus."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was browsing through the list of people I added in my Friendster.com account, these people were either people I once worked with, once in the same class as me or once in the same project group as me. But I realised one thing I don't know most of them very well. I only know them by their names. I only know where I met them. I only remembered what I did with them. But I don't know their birthdays, their habits, their likes and hates, their dos and don'ts.

From my list, I can clearly see the number of people I actually made very close connections and can be considered as my friends...

Who are my buddies? I don't know... Who are my best friends? I don't know... Who are my close friends? I guess I know the answers...

I guess it's about time I should start calling all the numbers in my contact list and start refreshing the list... Start to meet up with them and start making "Friend Connections".

No comments: